Prep 10 m
Cook 45 m
Ready In 1 h 5 m
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 finely chopped white or yellow onion
5-6 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni / bowtie pasta/ shells, whatever your preference
2 cups freshly sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (8 ounce) package processed Muenster cheese, cut into strips
Bread crumb mixture:
About 2 cups plain bread crumbs
About 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion + garlic for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- To the milk mixture add the Cheddar and Muenster cheeses; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2 quart baking dish; mix well. Top with bread crumb mixture
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.